Friday, November 28, 2008

Part 5. I started getting a little goofy here.

Rico helped Baba up the hill to her brother’s house and went back to the car to gather their belongings. He forced himself to keep his mind on his Baba and his reason for being there. He didn’t need the complication of thinking about a beautiful, young, teacher. No matter how blue those eyes were.

After three days of traveling all Rico wanted to do was to wash his face and sleep. His tete showed him where to put their things and he laid down and promptly fell into a deep, exhausted, sleep. Was it an hour later? A day later? Two days later? Rico had no idea how long he had been asleep when the rumbling of his reminded him that he hadn’t eaten. He followed the delicious odors permeating the small home and found his Tete and Baba, in the kitchen standing near an old fashioned wood cook stove. Tete Mila was stirring the pot of beans and meat that would make up the Corbast pasulj they would have for the afternoon meal.

After the afternoon meal the village neighbors started stopping by to visit Baba. The noisy chatter and excitement kept the afternoon lively. The lozo poured freely as Serbian conversation flowed excitedly around him. Rico had grown up in a Serbian neighborhood in America and understood it quite well, but had never quite been able to master the proper pronunciation of the foreign words. He was enjoying the atmosphere and noticing the glow on his Baba’s cheeks as she greeted old friends and family, when suddenly his pulse quickened as he saw a familiar sight. He hadn’t dreamed it. She did have the most beautiful blue eyes he had ever seen. Who is this woman and why was she in his family’s home? This trip just got interesting Rico thought to himself.

Zorka smiled a bit shyly at Rico and headed into the small kitchen area when she greeted Tete Mila with a kiss on her weathered cheek. Rico’s eyes followed her as she helped herself to a cup of coffee and then reached up to dig through the ancient cupboard. She stood on tiptoe and stretched to reach into the overhead cupboard. Her hand grasped around for something on the shelf that was out of her site. “Can I help you reach something?” Her startled eyes flew to the owner of the voice. “I’m Rico. What are you trying to reach up there?” He asked her curiously.

“Whatever you can find to put in my coffee.” She answered somewhat sheepishly.

“Well, let’s see. There is powdered cheese, dried onion, and coriander.” He grinned at her.

“I’ll take the powdered cheese.” She said somewhat nervously.

“I thought you wanted it for your coffee.” He asked confused.

“I do. I hate the taste of coffee, but I need it to give me energy after a long day of work, so I’m trying to find something good to add to the coffee for a creamer. I will try just about anything.” She stated emphatically.

His eyes danced with curiosity and amusement as he watched her sprinkle powdered cheese into her coffee, take a sip of it and set it back down and walked away.

“I’m Rico.” He said putting offering his hand.

“I know who you are Rico. I’m Zorka.” She replied, grasping his hand in a firm handshake.

“The only Zorka I know is a little girl. The last time I was here Tete Nadia was pregnant with Zorka.” He added.

“She wouldn’t still be pregnant 22 years later you know.” She said bemusedly.

“Well little one, you sure grew up. I was sixteen the last time I was here in Serbia when my Uncle Andrej married your Tete Mila, you weren’t even born yet. You forgot your coffee.” He pointed out with amusement dancing in his eyes.

“I’ll pass on the cheese coffee,” she said wrinkling her nose in distaste at the foul tasting concoction she had tried. She bent down to pick up the calico kitten that had come running in at the sound of her voice and was rubbing lovingly against her legs. “Cappie, meet Rico. Rico this little darling here is Captain Morgan.” She rubbed her cheek on the soft fur as she purred.

Rico absently scratched the calico kitten between the ears, but his eyes never left Zorka’s face. “You are the teacher?” He asked.

“I am.” She replied emphatically.

“You speak English very well. I just wish I could speak Serbian half as well. Being raised so close to Baba, I have been around Serbian my entire life and understand most of what is said, but I can’t seem to figure out how to speak it as well.” He admitted somewhat abashedly.

“Well, I will be your translator while I am here.” She stated matter-of-factly.

“Thank you Zorka. How will I manage to repay you?” He asked.

“That is not necessary. You are a visitor to our village, you are practically related. I’m offering you the basic hospitality that all Serbians offer to visitors. Now I must get home, it’s getting late and I do have to teach tomorrow.” She said as she stood to leave.

“I’m going down to the village tomorrow. May I buy you lunch at the platana?” He asked somewhat shyly.

“That would be nice. I’ll see you at lunch time tomorrow then. Bye now,” she called over her shoulder as she scurried out the door with Captain Morgan following closely behind.

Rico’s eyes trailed after her until the darkness enveloped her retreating figure, and still he stared into the darkness imagining her sparkling eyes and retreating backside, unsure which view he enjoyed the most, as he slowly turned away shaking his head ruefully and walked back inside to greet his relatives.

No comments: